Are you looking for a senior living community for yourself or a loved one, unsure where to start, or feeling completely stressed?
The senior living industry is immense and offers many choices, so it’s perfectly normal to feel overwhelmed by the thought of finding a community that meets your needs.
Although finding and choosing the right senior living community can be daunting, there are ways to be better informed and prepared to make the right decision for yourself or a loved one.
Your first step is to schedule in-person tours at various senior living communities in your area.
In this article, you’ll find everything you need to choose a senior living community that fits your needs.
Observations to Make When Touring Senior Living Communities
You should start by making some observations as soon as you pull up to the senior living community.
Is the lawn well maintained? Are outside patios, furniture, and outdoor living spaces inviting? Are walkways clean and handicapped accessible?
During your senior living community tour, observe the following:
- Cleanliness of the entryway, common, and dining areas
- Safety features like guard rails, ramps, and grab bars
- Types of amenities such as activity rooms, fitness centers, library, salon, and spa
- Condition and size of the apartments
- Is the staff friendly? Are they interacting with residents?
- Do residents look happy?
- Are residents social and participating in activities?
Questions to Ask Your Senior Living Tour Guide
Make a list of concerns and questions to ask during the tour. This will be your new home, and you want to ensure you leave with the answers to all your questions.
The following questions should be on your list:
Questions Regarding the Staff
- What certifications and training are required for staff?
- Do you do background checks on staff?
- What is your staffing ratio?
- Do you have staff available 24/7?
- What is your turnover rate?
- What activities of daily living (ADLs) are the staff able to help with?
Questions Regarding Meals and Dining
- How many meals/snacks are served daily?
- Can I try a meal?
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- Can friends/family join me for meals?
- What kind of beverages are included?
- Can I see a menu?
- What if I get hungry between meals?
- Is there a variety of meals, daily-to-day/weekly?
- Do you offer private dining for special events?
Questions Regarding Activities and Events
- Can I see an activity schedule?
- Can residents request activities?
- Do you offer transportation to local events and venues?
- What are your most popular activities and events?
Questions Regarding Living Spaces
- What apartments are currently available?
- Are apartments furnished or unfurnished?
- Are pets allowed? Are there extra fees?
- What floorplans do you offer? Amenities/features?
- Do you help with moving in?
- Is Wi-Fi included?
- What safety technology do you offer in apartments?
- Are there security features in apartments?
- Do you offer housekeeping and laundry services?
Questions Regarding Safety
- How is the community secured?
- Do you have 24/7 onsite security?
- What are your emergency protocols?
- Do you have an evacuation plan in place?
- What are your COVID protocols?
- How close is the nearest hospital?
- Do you have 24/7 onsite medical staff?
- Do you have registered nurses and physicians on staff?
Questions Regarding Cost Structure
- Do you have a monthly or a la carte cost structure?
- How am I billed?
- I there a deposit? Is it refundable?
- What’s included in monthly fees?
You now have everything you need to make the most of your senior living visits. Contact one of the friendly professionals at Seasons Senior Living to set up a tour.